Wednesday, June 13, 2012

LexisNexis Red (formerly designated LegalPad)

It seems that LexisNexis has quietly released its new digital looseleaf platform called "LexisNexis Red" (it was originally to be called LegalPad...a name that was already taken in the App Store).

After I wrote my unfavourable review of some of the LexisNexis eBooks, and comparatively favourable review of the Thomson Reuters ProView platform, I was contacted by LexisNexis who asked me to participate in the beta-testing of their newly-developed LegalPad (now Red) platform.  Despite some concerns about the breadth of the confidentiality agreement they required, I signed up for the beta-testing only to discover that:
  • the desktop version of the platform was not available for Mac (don't be fooled by their reference to "PC or laptop"...what they mean is Windows-based laptop);
  • the iPad App had not yet been approved by Apple and was unavailable for testing.
Disappointed by being unable to test the syncing capabilities between the desktop and the iPad versions, nonetheless I was happy to at least try the iPad version when it became available. That was on 3 April 2012.  I followed up the "Product Strategy Manager" with whom I had been dealing on 1 May 2012, and again on 5 June 2012.  Stony silence both times...not such a great "strategy".

And so, much as I would like to be able to provide you with a review of LexisNexis Red, I am only now going to be able to put it through its paces, and even then it will be limited to a review of its iPad capabilities.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment